enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type certifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Help with Projects, Research, Finding Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 22:14    Post subject: Type certifications Reply with quote

Kim you posted one for this person.
http://www.enginehistory.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=955
Where are they found?
https://www.enginehistory.org/BBimages/p-851.pdf

All Civilian aircraft engines have them too.
I found this, and not real sure how to use it.
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameset

I would like to see R-4360 if any, R-3350-TC18, R2800
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:48    Post subject: Re: Type certifications Reply with quote

rwahlgren wrote:
I found this, and not real sure how to use it.
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameset

I would like to see R-4360 if any, R-3350-TC18, R-2800

One can get nearly all type certificates from this source, but the process is not always straightforward. If you know the model number you are looking for, it is just a matter of searching. The rub comes when you try to search for a TC Holder when the TC has changed hands. Sometimes the tool is helpful, sometimes not.

In your case, simply searching for generic models works (mostly).
You won't find anything for R-4360, but you will find Wasp Major

For the R-2800 you will have to search for both R-2800 and Double Wasp. You will get some aircraft type certificates the USE these engines in addition to the engine type certificate list.

R-3350 is more complicated still because you will have to search for R-3350, Duplex Cyclone and Turbo Cyclone to get a full list. Again, aircraft type certificates also appear.

One word of warning: this search page does not always work and it never works in some browsers. You might have to experiment to find a combination that works for you. I was able to get it to work today using the FireFox browser.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Wasp Major it works but reports Not on TCDS ?
Type certificate data sheet? So then where is it?
Says P&W is the holder.

Found this under Double wasp, but is more for the whole aircraft.
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/86284b968da5453386256af800675521/$FILE/6a6.pdf

So what I am guessing none of the engines are type certified?
Since there is no data.
I think on an installation of 4360's on something like the C-97 BAHF has
the engines become type certified as part of the plane, and other than engines for the 377, no military engines have been.
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 09:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwahlgren wrote:
For Wasp Major it works but reports Not on TCDS ?
Type certificate data sheet? So then where is it?
Says P&W is the holder.

Aircraft engines are normally certificated under CAR 13 (older engines) or 14 CFR Part 33 (newer engines). This, along with other data forms the Regulatory Basis, which is listed on the Type Certificate Data Sheet. Engines such as these were certificated by a different method and no regulatory basis appears on the TCDS, hence "Not on TCDS".
Searching for Wasp Major produces seven citation links, each pointing to TCDS No. E-247. Clicking any of the links produces the intermediate page you described. In the upper-left corner is another link, labeled E-247. Clicking on this yields yet another intermediate page. On the left side is the triple-loop PDF symbol and the E-247.pdf filename. Click on this to get the TCDS text.
rwahlgren wrote:
Found this under Double wasp, but is more for the whole aircraft.
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/86284b968da5453386256af800675521/$FILE/6a6.pdf

Following the same procedure outlined above, I get thirteen citations. Eleven point to engine TCDSs E-231 and E-264. Two, 6A6 and A-793, describe Double Wasp powered aircraft, all of which appear to be civilian conversions of military Convair and General Dynamics aircraft.
A search on R-2800 produces a different result set, which includes TCDS 6A6 again, along with 5E-8, which appears to convert several R-2800 dash numbers to civilian use.
rwahlgren wrote:
So what I am guessing none of the engines are type certified?
Since there is no data.
I think on an installation of 4360's on something like the C-97 BAHF has
the engines become type certified as part of the plane, and other than engines for the 377, no military engines have been.

Engines are type certificated if they have a type certificate data sheet. Aircraft can be type certificated without certificated engines, such as the Hawkins & Powers HP-B-377, TCDS No. A5NM, C-97 civilian conversion, which specifies R-4360-59 engines.
mksmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, wait till we get on the subject of supplemental type certificates. lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Help with Projects, Research, Finding Information All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: