enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fined oil pans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpennings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:10    Post subject: fined oil pans Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sporty classic cars are often equipped with fined oil pans, despite their effectivity is questionable at low speeds. For air craft engines, it seems to be a more practical solution to keep the engine oil temperature down, since there is always plenty of air, but don’t now a single example of a finned oil pan in air craft engines. It is a disadvantage, that the temperature of the oil can’t be regulated as on oil coolers (despite it could be realized by a controlled cooling air supply) and cooling air distribution in a fully covered engine might be more complicate than with conventional oil cooling, but it is much simpler and, I guess, also lighter and cheaper.

I don’t remember having seen a single aircraft engine with that type of oil cooling, but I’m certain, there must be some engines with that approach out there.

Dominik
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aeronca E-113 comes to mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: