enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R-2180 production totals error.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Authors' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridding

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 23:16    Post subject: R-2180 production totals error. Reply with quote

I have recently written a short(ish) history of the Pratt & Whitney company for the magazine of the local aircraft historical association that I am a member of. Before sending it off to the editor, I decided to check my facts (as we all should do!).
Initially when I wrote the story I used various websites, including Wikipedia (yes, I know!). Whilst checking, one of the references I used was the Pratt & Whitney Piston Reciprocating Engine Production page in the Reference section of this website. I had not previously used this document in the writing of my story.
The Wikipedia page on the R-2180-E Twin Wasp states that the engine was used to power the Saab 90A, which was about 1950. Wikipedia also states that the R-2180-A Twin Hornet powered the Douglas DC-4E, Republic P-44, and the North American XB-21, which was in the late 1930s.
When I compared this information to that on the Pratt & Whitney Piston Reciprocating Engine Production page, it was different. The Pratt & Whitney Piston Reciprocating Engine Production page states that the R-2180-E Twin Wasp was produced between 1937 and 1939. It also states that the R-2180-A Twin Hornet was produced between 1949 and 1951.
I then went seeking confirmation, one way or the other. Also in the Reference section of this website I found a document called Index of Twin Wasp, Twin Hornet and R-2180 Designated Engines (a photocopy of an original Pratt & Whitney document). This states that the R-2180-E Twin Wasp powered the Saab 90A (1950), and the R-2180-A Twin Hornet powered the Boeing (it was in fact the Republic) P-44 and the North American XB-21 (1930s).
From this, it appears that the document Pratt & Whitney Piston Reciprocating Engine Production is incorrect. It appears that the headings of the two columns were switched, as 75 R-2180-E Twin Wasp engines were produced for the Saab aircraft, the Piasecki XH-16 helicopters, plus one prototype. This is according to https://airandspace.si.edu/ .
I would be grateful if anyone can confirm or deny my findings.
I am posting this thread on both the Authors Corner and the Pratt & Whitney topics so others will not make the same mistake as me.
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:39    Post subject: Re: R-2180 production totals error. Reply with quote

bridding wrote:
From this, it appears that the document Pratt & Whitney Piston Reciprocating Engine Production is incorrect. It appears that the headings of the two columns were switched, as 75 R-2180-E Twin Wasp engines were produced for the Saab aircraft, the Piasecki XH-16 helicopters, plus one prototype..

You are correct. The column headings were switched and are now corrected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Authors' Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: