enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil coolers R-2800?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klankenau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:33    Post subject: Oil coolers R-2800? Reply with quote

I managed to save two large brass oil coolers from the scrapper. They're a little on the modern side for me, but I'd guess they came off of a DC-6 or possibly a DC-4. If anyone out there can put them back to good use, I'd be willing to part with one or both for any kind of less than reasonable offer plus cost of shipping.

For someone really energetic, I also managed to save two sections of engine cowling, the portion that fits around each oil cooler and a whole bunch of cowl flap doors. A couple thousand more parts and someone could have themselves a whole airplane! (Did I also mention I have an NOS control wheel?)
gwhite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 08:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kip - you can recognize the DC-4 oil cooler by the fact it's round. The DC-6 oil cooler is oval shaped. I have a DC-6 oil cooler converted to a coolant radiator on my IV-1430.
klankenau

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

I trip over these almost every morning, as they've been sitting just inside the front door to our shop for about a month now. The occasional walk-in customer never fails to mention the potential scrap value of these mostly brass behemoths.

Just the other day, I noticed that they weren't identical, but one is just slightly larger than the other. I'll polish up the data plates and post the results in case anyone is interested.

I have absolutely no use for these, but until a proper aircraft related home can be found, a dusty corner will be found somewhere around here for their preservation.

Come on Graham, I'm sure you could use a spare cooler or two!
klankenau

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, I still have these two DC-4 oil coolers. They really need to move from my parts room to someone's hangar.
ckuhns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 19:08    Post subject: dc-4 oil cooler Reply with quote

Kip, The Berlin Airlift Foundation operates a DC-4 maybe they could use those coolers. http://www.spiritoffreedom.org/ Carl
klankenau

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the Berlin Airlift Foundation some time ago and never received a response, so these puppies are still hunting for a new home.
mhamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 13:36    Post subject: oil cooler Reply with quote

Still available? any pictures?
Thanks
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: