enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for information on SPECO XB4070 Aviation Diesel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jalmeter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 08:17    Post subject: Looking for information on SPECO XB4070 Aviation Diesel Reply with quote

I am a brand new member and this is my first post.

Looking for information on the SPECO XB4070 diesel. This was a radical axial / barrel / crankless engine that was actually built in the 1940s by a company called SPECO that was based in Springfield, Ohio.

The original requirement was for 2,000 hp at 2,000 lb and the engine came close to meeting this. Any technical information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Been through the SPECO archives in Springfield, US National Archives and the Smithsonian archives.

I have 2/3 of the 1947 SAE Paper by T. S. Sherman on the engine, "Slant Mechanisum -..." and would love to get hold the of the last third that I am missing. I have a full copy of the 1947 SAE article "Light Weight, Small Size ..." also on this engine.

The first generation of the engine is in storage at the Smithsonian. I don't know what happened to the last two engines that comprised the second generation.

Yours truly,

John Almeter
bwoollard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I hope you're still active with this old post; I've only just joined myself, so I can respond, primarily, although I was a onetime AEHS magazine subscriber back in the day.

I too, have been interested in the SPECO diesel aircraft engine, and although I can't offer much in return, I was hoping to get a lead on that SAE paper you mention - SAE have no record of such a paper, although it is described as a paper presented on 6 June 1947 in their Journals of that year.

- Would you mind sharing the lead where you found the paper?

I assume you have already accessed the Clark County Historical Society archives, as you mention Springfield......that is where most of my information has been sourced from.

Other than that, I hope 2020 finds you well, and I look forward to hearing from you......

Regards,

Brian Woollard
Swan Hill VIC 3585
Australia
dpennings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourtunally Google finds some Information:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/speco-xb-4070-2-diesel-9-barrel-engine/nasm_A19710890000

A Diesel engine with rotating cylinders sounds quite troublesome to me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: