enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

who built the first SOHC V8 aircraft engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lstohr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 17:00    Post subject: who built the first SOHC V8 aircraft engine Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am aware that V8 engines were fairly common in WWI, and the Hispano and Mercedes had single overhead camshafts.
My question is - who was the first to build a single overhead cam V8 aircraft engine?
I am an automobile historian, with particular interest in the automobiles built by Walter Christie. However, in 1910 Christie is known to have built a V8 engine for Charles Hamilton. Christie's V8 appears to have had single overhead cams with 2 valves per cylinder, with valves in-line, just like the later Hispano.
What Christie was doing in 1910 is quite a mystery to me, any help anyone could shed on Christie's connection with Hamilton, his mechanic Bert Doty or Augustus Herring would be welcome.
I have posted a photo of Christie's V8 on my blog - http://www.stohrdesign.com/1/category/1910-christie-v8/1.html.
I have read Colin Green's excellent articles on Hamilton and Christie that were published in WWI Aero.
Thank you,
Lee Stohr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: