enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 Engine news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Air Racing - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 13:47    Post subject: 2012 Engine news Reply with quote

Hope we have some this year.

Last edited by rwahlgren on Sat Sep 15, 2012 18:01; edited 2 times in total
rcore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some speculation whether Furias experienced an engine failure last year or some problem with the boil-off system caused the oily mess in the hell hole (and everywhere else).

Rare Bear has been in the air this week; don't know if the mixture control (?) problems have been completely worked out.

The interesting contest in the Gold category may well be between 232 and Furias, imho. R-4360 vs. R-3350 with fairly equal airframes.

My main source for gleaning race info is aafo.com.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Furias is not flying anymore this year. Too bad I was happy it was back at the races.
I read it had a landing gear failure, and got goofed up from that, and then it was dropped from a broken strap while lifting on to the truck.
In the photo's I saw all prop blades were bent, so the engine has to be overhauled.

It would be nice to hear all the engine news from the races. Like what overhaulers are there advertizing, who are the builders of some of the race plane engines, and how many if any blow up and what happened to cause it etc. I wish Pete Law would write up a report, that would be some good reading.
rkammlott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 06:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to hear about that also. did the Bear run hot in the gold final?
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read the Bear had temperature gauge problems.
I'd like to know who did the Bears engine this year, I think in 2010 it was
Anderson Airmotive, actually he had quite a few engines that came in good then.
rcore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 09:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anderson had a booth way out west, across from the IF1, Biplane and Sport pits. They had a freshly overhauled EA-2 (slated for the Lufthansa Constellation project) and some cutaways on display, along with some interesting broken bits and unusable parts, some of which were for sale.

Forgive me for not taking a picture, but they had a fresh raw cylinder head forging for an R-2800. It was produced overseas. I don't know if one has been machined yet, let alone assembled or run. Maybe someone else here knows more of the history of this project.

I would have/should have asked more questions -they are a friendly bunch - but I was focused like a kid in a candy shop!

One thing I finally got to do - pick up a '4360 crankshaft. It weighs around 180 lbs. and can be lifted by one (weak and aging) person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Air Racing - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: