enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chrysler Aircraft Engines, by Kimble D. McCutcheon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 18:20    Post subject: Chrysler Aircraft Engines, by Kimble D. McCutcheon Reply with quote

Anyone that is interested in Engines, will want this book.
It helps show the painstaking process of the Aircraft Engine design world during the war.
It is very evident that Kim spent alot of time researching for this book.
wallan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 07:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a copy on order.
cmalott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:17    Post subject: Kim's book Reply with quote

Not too obvious how to order Kim's book on
Chryser engs. How do you do it?

cmalott
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 07:53    Post subject: Re: Kim's book Reply with quote

cmalott wrote:
Not too obvious how to order Kim's book on
Chryser engs. How do you do it?cmalott

On the AEHS web site home page, click on the - Details - link.
A new page will appear that solicits a username and password.
Enter your username and password, click Submit.
An order form will appear that allows either an electronic ordering or the printing of a paper mail order form.

Cheers,
ckuhns

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 19:52    Post subject: specific fuel consumption Reply with quote

Question about the SFC of the XL-2220. On page 114 several SFCs of .09 lb/hp/hr, .105lb/hp/hr and .093lb/hp/hr are listed. I beleive the Wright Turb compound was one of the most efficent gasoline engines with a Sfc of .40 lb/hp/hr. What am I missing? Carl
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 08:22    Post subject: Re: specific fuel consumption Reply with quote

ckuhns wrote:
Question about the SFC of the XL-2220. On page 114 several SFCs of .09 lb/hp/hr, .105lb/hp/hr and .093lb/hp/hr are listed. I beleive the Wright Turb compound was one of the most efficent gasoline engines with a Sfc of .40 lb/hp/hr. What am I missing? Carl

You are actually catching something. I have confused fuel/air ratios with SFC. The paragraph should read

An extremely rich mixture of 0.09+ fuel/air had been used throughout the run-in. Chrysler explained that the high fuel consumption at 2,300 hp and 110°F CAT (0.105 fuel/air) while 2,500 hp and 70°F CAT only required a fuel/air ratio of 0.093. Backfire screens had been cleaned at the end of two hours time and were found to be satisfactory at test completion.

Good catch, Carl.
ckuhns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 17:34    Post subject: Fuel air mixture Reply with quote

Kim, Thanks for your reply. What would that be in whole numbers? I was thinking the idea air/fuel mixture was 14.7 /1. Any number below 14.7 was a rich mixture and a mixture like 15.5/1 was a lean one. thanks Carl
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 08:06    Post subject: Re: Fuel air mixture Reply with quote

ckuhns wrote:
Kim, Thanks for your reply. What would that be in whole numbers? I was thinking the idea air/fuel mixture was 14.7 /1. Any number below 14.7 was a rich mixture and a mixture like 15.5/1 was a lean one. thanks Carl

Whole numbers (Air/Fuel ratios) would be the reciprocal of the Fuel/Air ratios, i.e., 0.09 F/A = 11.11:1 A/F; 0.105 F/A = 9.52:1 A/F; 0.093 F/A = 10.75:1 A/F.
We are taught that engines ideally run at an A/F ratio of 14.7:1 (0.068 F/A), but they rarely do. They must be significantly richer to idle, and almost always use extra fuel to prevent detonation and misfire at high powers.
Curves on pages 135 and 136 illustrate this point, and also show the experimental variation between flow bench runs on the same carburetor(p135) and runs of different engines with identical setups (p136).
ckuhns

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kim, You have answered my question Carl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: