enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trans-sonic propellers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaymerich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 05:47    Post subject: Trans-sonic propellers? Reply with quote

I vaguely remember having read that during WWII, German engineers were convinced that propellers would be useful up to airplane speeds not too much below Mach-1, and also it seems that something like a propeller driven version of an F-86 Sabre fighter was tested in the USA. Am I right? Is there a place to look at for more about the very fast airplane propellers?
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 06:40    Post subject: Re: Trans-sonic propellers? Reply with quote

jaymerich wrote:
...also it seems that something like a propeller driven version of an F-86 Sabre fighter was tested in the USA. Am I right? Is there a place to look at for more about the very fast airplane propellers?

The American aircraft tested with a transonic propeller was a Republic F-84H. Please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFhSzReWTgs

There are also several articles on the Internet that can be located by searching for "transonic propeller".
jaymerich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 09:35    Post subject: Cutted link Reply with quote

Hi!: I beg your pardon, as I should have had a look by myself for the subject of Trans-sonic propeller in a web browser, it would have yielded enough info for me. Another question: does it make any sense thinking in super-critical profiles for propeller blades, such as the airfoils they started using not long ago in near Mach-1 or near-sonic flying airplanes?
Salud +
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: