enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oct. 2011 Franklin Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 19:12    Post subject: Oct. 2011 Franklin Update Reply with quote

Well, one year to the day I bought the engine, I bought a trailer to act as the baseis for my running stand. It's old, it's steel, it's aquatic, and the price was right. It is now in a garage 2 states over, but I can get it home once I see if the lights work and borrow a vehicle with a hitch. Or I dissassemble it as far as I can and throw it in a van or pickup. Pictures later. I continue to clean and paint the Franklin pushrod tubes and induction pipes still on the engine. Engine mount is painted and ready to go to work. So now comes care measuring and drawing up some plans (Payback! My son owes me for 5 years of collegiate enginneering education) for the fabricators and welders. Back in business!
ssearing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:58    Post subject: Is there updated status on this project? Reply with quote

Hello.
I'm new to AEHS and am impressed with the vast knowledge available through this association. I am reaching out to you for an update on your Franklin project. I am the current custodian of an 805-5 engine am struggling with the decision to make it a functional display.

I have read of Graham White's restoration of an 805-2 to functional status some years back. I would love to reach out to him as well.

Look forward to hearing about your project.

Stu
tfey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu, gtreetings, Tom Fey here. Short answer is that I gave up on the Franklin. Long answer as follows: After accumulating all the parts and manuals I needed to complete the Franklin 4AC-150 restoration, and having partially and very enjoyably restored and painted the engine, reality reared its ugly head. I would need a welder to safely build up a framework on the trailer to accept the J-3 mount I had. I would have to hand prop the engine to start it. I didn't have a car with a trailer hitch or a place to store the trailer/engine during the Chicago winters. And if I did get it all done, where would I run it? I ended up donating the engine and mount to Old Rhinebeck to support one of their early fliers and the trailer to a guy who simply wanted it. Instead, I restore WWII drone engines to runnng condition. They are two stroke, 6 hp to 22 hp, pretty simple engines with a fascinating history. Learned to carve my own 26 to 32 inch diameter props. The ngines fit on an engine rebuild stand, which fits intact inside my Honda Odyessy, and I run them at airshows, R/C clubs, and Oshkosh. They break down into two assemblies so I can store them in my basement over the winter. Sorry to say, I'm not much help for your project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: