enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curtiss Wright R-3350 Propeller Shaft drawing or SAE #60

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghufstader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 08:17    Post subject: Curtiss Wright R-3350 Propeller Shaft drawing or SAE #60 Reply with quote

I need to replicate the SAE #60 spline on a Curtiss Wright R-3350 Propeller Shaft.
Does anyone have a drawing of that shaft or have detailed dimensions/material/heat treat used?
I have seen a poor copy of AN-9506 (from the AEHS discussion board) which has some SAE #60, but it is not readable in the current condition.
Also, if anyone has a recommended machine shop that can cut an SAE #60 spline, I would appreciate that lead as well.

Thank you,
Brian Rodgers
Texas
CAF Devil Dog Squadron
rkammlott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 06:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to ask. what are you building? you could probably find a beat nose case cheap with the splines your looking for . post a wanted ad on barnstormers.
ghufstader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 06:44    Post subject: more shaft info Reply with quote

Yes, after review of post #1, I could have added a bit more detail. Embarassed

I work for the Texas A&M Wind Tunnel in College Station, Texas.
We currently have a 2500 Hp electric motor turning a cut-down (13.5 ft) 4-bladed (B-29 blades) Hamilton Standard hub with a Curtiss Electric Pitch Control Motor. Yes, my understanding is that there was a bit of modification to do that mating. The motor connects to the hub via TWO R-3350 Propeller Shafts mated back-to-back with the motor-side one modified by having its nut thread area removed.
A 3000 Hp upgrade is going to be happening soon and I was tasked with making a custom shaft to eliminate the need of two more R-3350 prop shafts. Since the shaft must mate with the SAE #60 splined hub, I need to know the spline info. Hard to find that !!
BTW, if anyone can help find another Curtiss Electric Pitch Control motor assembly, we would like to puchase a spare !! Those are equally hard to come by and I am also searching for that assembly's drawings if a custom armature has to be made at some point in the future.
The Tunnel can currently generate a 200mph breeze and the goal is to approach 250mph with the new motor.

Brian Rodgers
ghufstader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 15:33    Post subject: final result Reply with quote

Regarding my search, I was finally able to find a drawing of the Wright R-3350 propeller shaft in the collection at Wright State University (Ohio). After signing a standard usage agreement (can't use it on a flying aircraft), I was sent a .pdf and .tif of the drawing. The drawing was in bad shape, but most of the information was readable; at least the bits that I needed. The SAE #60 dimensions were there, however, not enough so that one could machine such just with that drawing. I found a local spline-cutting machine shop that had some CNC cutting machines and was pleased to know that "SAE 60" was a spline type found in their gear software! So, all I had to do was tell them where to start/stop the spline. Their software calculated the involute gear tooth form.
Brian
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 05:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Brian.

I saw the Wright State collection about three years ago; at that time they had no idea what they had. It is good to know that enough work has been done to allow location of a drawing.

Lucky break on the CNC software also!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: