enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Runners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 02:31    Post subject: Runners Reply with quote

http://www.enginehistory.org/runners.htm

I would like to know what keeps some of these from taking off?
I really liked the Tulsa 3350 prop almost hitting the ground, it looks like its pulling the stand over a little bit. I would like to know if they anchor that stand? I know that even a cropped prop will make some good thrust.
dirwin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engines do not need anchoring. If they are mounted on a trailer, then the trailer brakes, with wheel chocks and a front stand is sufficient.

The prop blades are usually run at a high (stalled) pitch angle, and whilst they generate thrust they also generate a lot of drag to load the engine.

I have Merlin, whose prop is set to 40 deg minimum pitch, and feathered as a max. At 40 deg, it is likely to generate significant thrust but (hopefully) not enough to present a problem. Torque from the prop is ultimately the larger constraint, as the engine stand/trailer needs to be resilient to high torque twist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: