enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mag booster coil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aradman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 02:58    Post subject: mag booster coil Reply with quote

From my R975 post i am trying to get a R975 running on a stand, have found out that a mag booster coil is required to provide additional spark in a retarded position for starting, it feeds in to the left hand mag, i did not get one with the engine, i assume it remains on the aircraft when engine is removed, can I make one from an automotive ignition coil and an osillator on the primary side to provide the spark and then feed this to the mag or is the original item imperative to use, any help would be of use

Last edited by aradman on Mon Nov 30, 2009 16:53; edited 2 times in total
klankenau

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Liberty coils are really hot, but are designed for 8 volts. Are there any coil specifications in the manual you purchased?
aradman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 03:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

other than the 24v system dont have any other info, only other thing i have found out are that Model T ford " trembler " coils fire aprox 200 times a second, if i make some thing that is what i am going to aim for
amarshall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 03:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the automotive coil system would work fine. Booster coils are quite common but a home made one would be just as good. Yak-52 or Nanchang CJ-6 aircraft have a small and simple booster coil that could probably be sourced cheaply.
aradman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

got an "eclipse aviation" 12 volt booster coil, tested it and it works OK, one more piece in the puzzle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: