enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Douglas Light Aero Engines: From Kingswood to Cathcart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 08:20    Post subject: Douglas Light Aero Engines: From Kingswood to Cathcart Reply with quote

Our colleague, Mr. Thorby’s book is due to be published in June 2009. I’m looking forward to it.

http://www.redcliffepress.co.uk/new.html
bthorby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 15:51    Post subject: DOUGLAS LIGHT AERO ENGINES,FROM KINGSWOOD TO CATHCART Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest Bill. I have just found out that my work has "fallen
in a crack", regarding July (my contract) and June (publisher's website) publication date. I can only advise that "Autumn" is now the current notice on Redcliffe Press. I hope potential readers with keep the faith.
Douglas of Bristol were famous pioneers of light powerful h.o. air-cooled
twin cylinder motorcycle engines,but developed these designs enough to venture into light aviation in 1923. I have found in my researches a number of previously unknown air-cooled aero motors worked on by Douglas and their succesors Aero Engines Ltd,up to 10 litres capacity,besides the ingenious designs of Cyril Pullin after he moved into Rotary Winged Aircraft development at G & J Weir. Lost causes maybe, but something new to readers, I trust.It should be circa 215 pages;122 illustrations;47 line drawings.Over 50 airframes powered by these engines are covered,plus competitive power units.

Brian Thorby
wallan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 00:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I noticed your message on one of the Douglas forums. As long as they publish it sometime! I can't tell you how mad I felt after contacting the publishers of 'Thunderbolt: the life of Kartvelli', only to get a telephone call two years down the line telling me it wasn't going to be published at all.
klankenau

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 08:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

We make a reproduction of a two cylinder 'Miller' distributor cap used on the Douglas Dragonfly motorcycle. Same company?

Kip Lankenau
wallan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 07:12    Post subject: For Brian Thorby Reply with quote

Brian. My outbox is full and this message failed to be sent to you.

Just noticed your request on http://www.airwarfareforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9548

asking about an aero engine book by Caunter. I have all three of his aero engine books, at my home in Fife. I will be there in 3 weeks: do you need any information from them?

By the way, for anyone interested, there is a copy of Caunter's SMALL TWO-STROKE AERO ENGINES; at around £30 here

http://www.choosebooks.com/displayBookDetails.do?itemId=86933731&ref=add

Also saw someone advertising the four stroke book for £120!!

Brian; hope your book is out soon.

Bill
wallan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 06:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m currently writing a review of this book for the society. In the mean time, I can recommend it.

Brian, I’ll have it finished by next week. (our two work sections requiring twenty-two people currently have ten available)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: