enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liberty engine information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rneal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 16:15    Post subject: Liberty engine information Reply with quote

Question As many of you know, I am currently writing a History of the Liberty Aircraft Engine. Although the research is pretty much done, there are always some missing pieces. Here are some items I would love to get more information on. Anyone out there with it?

1- In reference to the British-built Nuffield Liberty:
a- I need pictures, specifications and sectional drawings of the Mark I and II versions.

2- In reference to the Russian-built M-5 version: As one might assume, data on this engine is difficult to find. I need specifications, drawings and photographs of this engine in either the aero or tank version. Has anyone ever seen a manual for it?

If anyone has any information relative to the Liberty that they would consider odd or unusual, such as an odd use it was put to, etc. I would like to hear it.

I am trying to cover all uses of the engine, specially marine conversions.

Bob Neal
rjneal0000@aol.com
wallan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 08:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that most of the Nuffield Liberty engines went into large numbers of really bad British tanks, the following two books, which deal with this situation, may have information that could help.

Author: Fletcher, David.
British Armour in the Second World War, part 1: The Great Tank Scandal. London, HMSO: 1989. ISBN: 0-11-290460-2
British Armour in the Second World War, part 2: The Universal Tank. London, HMSO: 1993. ISBN 0-11-290534-X

Unfortunately, my copies are 200+ miles from here, and I won’t be able to look at them for some time: do any of our other members have copies that they could check for information, for Mr. Neal?

HMSO is the British Government’s publishing section.

Did the Russian engines go into the tanks that they recently discovered buried in Finland? (the Finns dug-in captured Russian tanks, as pillboxes, on the Mannerheim Line) Somebody in Britain has one, I think.

Don't know if it's these tanks:

http://www.battlefield.ru/bt2.html
wallan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 08:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morris (Nuffield) did a presentation booklet/pamphlet after WW2, about their production of war material. (it has carboard covers designed to look like leather) I think the title is something like 'A Contribution to the Nation'. I can't check my copy at the moment: anybody else able to check if the Liberty engine is in it?
klankenau

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tank Museum in Bovington (UK) has examples of virtually every british tank and many foreign examples as well. They have an extensive library and archives.

Make a trip and get some up close and hands on experience. They even put on armour demonstrations during the summer, but watch out, visitors are subject to conscription and may find themselves in one of Her Majesty's infantry companies for an afternoon.
rneal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all with an interest in the Liberty book project:

I finished that book and it was published by Specialty Press in January of 2009. 8 1/2 X11 format with about 620 pages and 1050 illustrations. The book is priced at $74.95 plus shipping and can be ordered from either Specialty or myself, if you want it autographed.

Bob Neal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: