enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not an aircraft engine book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 01:47    Post subject: Not an aircraft engine book Reply with quote

Mr. Cummins has finally released Volume 2 of his history of the Diesel engine.

Diesels for the First Stealth Weapon-Submarine Power 1902-1945

It's a great book for all who love engines. I think it's even better than Volume 1.
wallan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 05:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pages are the same size as in Torque Meter, (756 pages) although the paper seems to have less clay content and as such is not as shiny, or as smooth, to the touch. All photographs are printed onto the pages, (no separate plates) and are at least up to the standard in TM, although some of the reproductions from other publications are, as normal, slightly darker.

I'm not sure about the font used, (most British published books give lots of data about the printing method) but it seems to have an old fashioned appearance, perhaps in keeping with the documents the information came from. The font appears to be about 12 points.

The spine is stitched, which is good, rather than 'perfect' bound, so no chance of pages falling out after lots of use.

Hope this helps.
pshort

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 05:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

J,

"Diesels For the First Stealth Weapon: Submarine Power 1902-1945" by Lyle Cummins.

I bought this book a few months ago but just saw this thread recently. The book has lots of technical interest, in fact I would say that is its main point. It is a technical examination of the engines used, not the submarines. It is a huge book (750-odd pages), all about engines Very Happy . I think you will find a very pleasing amount of technical detail on the engines, including insights into development problems, designers etc. I personally very much enjoy the 'notes' in all Lyles books, they often include little bits of info that give the stories great interest.
There are many illustrations - photos and drawings etc, all fairly large, but not always very clear.

Actually, this is not volume 2 of Mr Cummins Diesel story, it is a seperate book. I have bought all Lyle Cummins books over the years and buy them direct from him. He informed me that this will be his last book, so don't be waiting for volume 2 of the Diesel story.

If anyone would like to purchase them from the author, let me know and I will give you his contact. It is nice to have the books signed etc. You won't get them at a cut-rate Amazon price (if indeed they do), but at least the money goes to the author.

By the way, Lyle's other books are great too, especially "Internal Fire" and "Diesel's Engine" - as far as I know, the best books ever written on their subjects.
fbarrett

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends:

I believe copies can also be bought directly from the author, C. Lyle Cummins, who lives in Oregon. If you are interested, contact me for his address, etc. That would maximize his reward for all of his work, and he's a nice guy, so he'd probably autograph it if asked.

My automotive book business sold quite a few copies of his earlier diesel book, but because the new one is marine-oriented, we're not carrying it, though I did get one for myself. Paper and printing quality are nothing to shout about; the real value lies in the information.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: