enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wright "F" Series 1820

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 09:10    Post subject: Wright "F" Series 1820 Reply with quote

This is the "second" design for the 1820. Has twelve hold down studs for cylinders, and often bails (spring wire clips) to hold on rocker box covers.
Offered in three basic versions of direct drive with a very shallow or "flat" nose case, 8:5 reduction with Wright Farman reduction gear and 16:11 reduction with the planetary reduction gear that became standard on most all later geared 1820s. This "F" design was the first to use the crankcase split on the cylinder centerlines, replacing the much inferior "E" crankcase, which loaded all internals thru the nose case opening.

The direct drive and 8:5 geared engines will have the SAE 40 spline and the 16:11 engines will have the SAE 50 spline prop shafts.

I am interested in buying anything for sale in the way of complete engines, parts or tools for these engines, in almost any condition.

Would also be interested in buying any factory original engineering drawings or copies thereof.

These engines were in production from about mid 1932, and the highest serial number applied as of the August 1, 1935 parts catalog was 23144.
whouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 09:10    Post subject: WRIGHT CYCLONE Reply with quote

MY NAME IS WALT HOUSE, IAM THE VOLUNTEER/UNPAID CURATOR AT THE KANSAS AVIATION MUSEUM IN WICHITA, KANSAS. I JUST JOINED THE AEHS AND SAW YOUR HUNT FOR R-1820F PARTS. WE ARE ALSO LOOKING FOR CYCLONE PARTS BUT FOR THE R-1750CE, E OR R-1820E. THE ENGINE THAT WE HAVE IS AN R-1750CE. IT IS MISSING FOUR CYLINDERS AND THE DIRECT DRIVE NOSE CASE. ONLY THREE OF THE FIVE CYLINDERS CAN BE MADE USABLE FOR STATIC DISPLAY. THE ENGINE WAS ON A STEARMAN M-2 SPEEDMAIL AND LAID NEAR AN INDIAN VILLAGE ON TESLIN LAKE CLOSE TO WHITEHORSE, CANADA FROM 1939 UNTIL 1993. THE INDIANS TOOK EVERYTHING THAT COULD BE REMOVED WITH SIMPLE TOOLS AND BEAT ON THE REST WITH ROCKS. TWO OF THE CYLINDERS HAVE NO FINS ON THE HEADS, EVEN THE ROCKER BOXES ARE BROKEN OFF.

DURING OUR SEARCH I WILL BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR YOURS ALSO. HAVE YOU EVER FOUND ANY OF THE "E" CYLINDERS?

THANKS, WALT

WHAT DO THE CYLINDERS ON THE "F" LOOK LIKE? I ASSUME THEY HAVE THE LATER HEAD DESIGN.

IN MY SEARCHING I WILL BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR YOURS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: