enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liberty engine book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstampfel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 00:53    Post subject: Liberty engine book Reply with quote

I am looking for a book on the development of the "Liberty" engine. Can anyone help me with a title and author?
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 06:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reference is The Liberty engine, 1918-1942. (Smithsonian Annals of Flight, Vol. 1, No. 3.), by Philip S. Dickey, III.
wallan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience of searching for books, on the Internet, I find that the Used Book section on www.addall.com brings up most hits, but the Advanced Search section of www.abebooks.com allows you to tailor your search results, better. (isn't Bob Neal about to publish his Liberty book, soon?) Plus, on www.addall.com, they tend to pick up the required words in the description, as a bonus. Finally, WW1 Aero always seem to have a copy or two to sell.
wallan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say, I'm sure Bob (Robert) Neal is almost finished his book on the Liberty. He used to have website, and I'm sure he spoke about the book in a copy of Torque Meter. (I'm 200 miles from my copies, but will check, sometime) He did 'Packards at Speed', so hopefully it will be to this standard.
rneal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing In reference to available Liberty material, the Smithsonian Annals of Flight Vol 1 No 3 "The Liberty Engine 1918-1942" is definitely the best (and only) major item ever done on the Liberty.

Yes, I am doing a major work on the Liberty and it is well along. Hopefully I will complete the task by the end of the year. The research is 99% done. (Research is NEVER complete - one never knows it all and always has something new show up from time to time, usually at the last minute - just before publication time.) When I say "complete" by the end of the year, I mean the manuscript written, book laid out electronically and ready to send to a printer; I do not mean that it will be "in print" by the end of the year.

There are always some loose ends one would like to clear up. I have a couple and when I get a chance, I will post some requestes for help here.

Yes I intend to do the book with the same quality etc. as "Master Motor Builders" and "Packards At Speed."

I am open to suggestions as to any particular items one would like to see in the book. Remember, however, that I am writing a "history" and not an engineering treatise. The book will have sectional drawings etc. but not an engineering discussion as to the mechanical justifications of its design or detailed comparisons against others of the period or engines to follow.

Bob Neal

3/4/05

This is an update on the above post I made back in 2003. I cannot believe the time has gone by so fast nor can I emagine how, back in September of 2003, I could have thought I would complete this project "by the end of the year." Maybe I was meaning by the end of the year 2004. Anyway, here it is May of 2005 and it is still not done. Don't dispare. I am half way finished with the manuscript and book layout. It is up to about 300 pages and looks like it will go to 600. I am sure the reader will find more about the Liberty and its history than he had ever emagined there was to say.

Bob Neal

5/8/07

Here we go again. The manuscript is FINISHED and my above estimate of 600 pages was correct. Up to the index (which has not yet been done) the page count is 607. For what it is worth the word count is about 250,000 and there are about 1,000 illustrations. I will approach a couple of publishers that I think will publish it in the same quality as Packards At Speed and Master Motor Builders. With luck it will be in print some time during 2007.

I will very soon send a copy to Kim McCutcheon for his review and comments. Several members have already revied selected chapters pertaining to subject on which they are experts. Kim may see fit, if he wishes, to comment on the overall book to the membership either on the web site of in the Torque Meter.

Bob Neal
pshort

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 06:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered this thread languishing at the bottom of the page, but it includes some recent edits from Bob Neal. Bob, you need to write a new post to get it bumped to the top where we can read it. Great news about your progress on the Liberty book!
rneal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

At a member's suggestion I am making this new post on the current status of the Liberty book. It is finished and stands at 620 pages and about 1,000 illustrations. I am now in the process of finding a publisher who thinks the subject will support the large investment to produce a book of its size and quality. Hopefully we will see it in print by the end of the year.

Bob Neal
wallan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 01:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Mr. Neal. I'll be buying at least one copy when it is published.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: