enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bristol Centaurus power potential

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 05:18    Post subject: Bristol Centaurus power potential Reply with quote

In Jane´s Fighting Aircraft of WW Two (I believe this is the reprint of 1945-46 edition of AWA) it is mentioned that the Centaurus CE.22.SM (e.g. Cent 373) has been type tested at 3500 hp. Any further info? After all, this would make the R-4360 look rather crude....
gwhite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 07:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the 3500hp claim as well. I would take it with a grain of salt. As you know, the ‘45/’46 AWA is full of errors and this is not surprising considering the sheer volume of information available immediately following WWII. I would put the 3500hp claim down to one of two reasons; a simple typo; or the 3500hp was achieved for a momentary acceleration achievement. No Centaurus was ever type rated at this figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: