enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Knife and Fork Man" book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pshort

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 20:25    Post subject: "The Knife and Fork Man" book Reply with quote

I was recently lent this book, it looks quite good at first glance.

"The Knife and Fork Man, The Life and Work of Charles Benjamin Redrup" by Bill Fairney, published in 2006 by Diesel Publishing. www.fairdiesel.co.uk

I have only browsed so far, but it seems to be well written and technically interesting. Quite a few photos and drawings of various engines discussed. Redrup was a prolific inventor who designed many different motorcycle, aero, car, boat and bus engines. He invented a "Wobble-Plate" axial engine which actually flew and variants of the engine were used by the Bristol Company in its buses. He worked for A.V.Roe in latter years, particularly on the Lancaster, its hydraulics etc.
wallan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 05:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy arrived on Tuesday, and it's highly interesting. He seems to have created a number of engines over the years. I recommend it to our members.

I've read it all the way through. a few errors, (Vulture engine origins for one) and the author seems to consider everyone else to be out of step with the subject, but lots of nice unusual engine photographs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: