enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leads on available engines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 23:49    Post subject: Leads on available engines Reply with quote

I'm sure that there are some of us that have been looking for an engine of some sort, since that is what this orginization is all about.
I just wish there was more of an effort to help locate and help locate someone to ship or truck them as well. There are probably many outfits that have stockpiles of old engines sitting around that would like to sell them for more $ than the scrap value.
What about museums that liquidate some of the collection in warehouses?
Personally I don't want to spend thousands on an engine just to find out I have just purchased a $2000 or $5000 pile of scrap that is maybe worth $500 after spending a week or more to dissassemble it to segragate the metals. So they need to be priced accordingly. In somecases you could end up thinking you have an engine when really all you have is an empty case that looks like an engine, ie missing all the internals such as crank chain components, valve gear, accessory gearing etc.
So is there anyone here that can help in locating engines?
rhaus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several places up here with R-2000's, R-2800's, and even few R-4360's in various states of disrepair. (we still use DC-4's and DC-6's up here...and once there were quite a few KC-97 types) ...the problem, as always, is getting them moved without spending a fortune......you'd just about have to be making a trip up here for some other reason and just happen to haul one back in your truck....likewise, I have had to pass up several neat engines and old tractors, etc. because they were in the lower 48 and shipping's too spendy! ...As far as buying one, the 4360's will be the cheapest since hardly anyone flies them anymore...the 2000's and 2800's tend to get rebuilt to fly....and smaller stuff like R-985's are quite popular since the Beaver and the Beech 18 use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: