enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bugatti Marine radials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Recip Engines 1920=>
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 17:05    Post subject: Bugatti Marine radials Reply with quote

Hello!

New member here, thought I'd introduce myself.

It's interesting to me that multi-row radials were successful (apparently) in marine applications such as these. There were others besides Bugatti, of course, but the manufacturer's name(s) escape me. Considering the social standing of those who'd be able afford one, Id have a better chance of hearing the only surviving R-2160 running than one of these! Sad

I've been a fan of AEHS for several years and have enjoyed the website a lot. I've been an aircraft engine geek since the age of twenty when I started going to airshows. Having spent much time in the 1980s digging through musty libraries, unsuccessfully, for any pictures or articles of the Wright R-2160, among other obscure engines, I owe a great deal of thanks to Graham White, Kim McCutcheon and the rest for doing all the hard work for me. All the searching was fun, but finally seeing them was even more satisfying.

Hopefully, with luck, I can contribute a few percent as much as I've received.

Thanks,
Bob Core
gwhite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - welcome aboard AEHS..!!
The radial looks suspiciously like the Russian job. Bristol made a marine version of the Hercules that was tested in Royal Navy high speed boats.
jfarrelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "Bugatti Yacht" site is a notorious fake...the engine is in fact a Russian Zvezda marine diesel engine.

Cheers, Jon
rcore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake??? What's the internet coming to? Embarassed

Oh well, I searched up what I could about the Zvezda. Was it any more successful a marine engine then the Wright Tornado was an aircraft engine? No quill shaft drive on it, if the animated CG reciprocating assembly is accurate. I bet analyzing torsional and other vibration on it was interesting, to say the least.

A friend who traveled to Germany several years ago told me of a similar German marine diesel; I'm guessing now that he was looking at a Zvezda as well.

Thanks,
Bob
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 09:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, that Zvezda radial diesel was/is a quite decent engine for fast attack craft etc. requiring plenty of power from small package. The downside is the complicatish (?) maintenance for obvious reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Recip Engines 1920=> All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: