enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pre-WWII church racing engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Air Racing - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgertler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 15:23    Post subject: pre-WWII church racing engine Reply with quote

Here is an unusual Pre-War racing engine, built by Jim Church for the Church mid-wing racer in the National Air Races. Allow me to point out some novelties. He cast his own cylinders (did not use Heath cylinders). It would appear that this engine had permanent carb. heat, as the intake goes from carb at bottom of oil sump-Through cast tube inside of the aluminum oil sump and out again to the side manifold. The surrounding oil would have kept the intake air on the warm side. For a plane and engine of this size (dubiously listed at 41 HP -about 30% more than a Heath) the use of streamlined exhausts made from a separate pieces of steel streamlined strut tubing for each cyl. always made me smile. Last year I donated this engine to Seattle Museum of Flight, along with a much needed factory-built Heath B-4 and 30 other rare engines. Should be on display there, shortly. see at:
http://members.cox.net/barnstormer1/churchl.jpg
gwhite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 16:14    Post subject: Re: pre-WWII church racing engine Reply with quote

jgertler wrote:
Here is an unusual Pre-War racing engine, built by Jim Church for the Church mid-wing racer in the National Air Races. Allow me to point out some novelties. He cast his own cylinders (did not use Heath cylinders). It would appear that this engine had permanent carb. heat, as the intake goes from carb at bottom of oil sump-Through cast tube inside of the aluminum oil sump and out again to the side manifold. The surrounding oil would have kept the intake air on the warm side. For a plane and engine of this size (dubiously listed at 41 HP -about 30% more than a Heath) the use of streamlined exhausts made from a separate pieces of steel streamlined strut tubing for each cyl. always made me smile. Last year I donated this engine to Seattle Museum of Flight, along with a much needed factory-built Heath B-4 and 30 other rare engines. Should be on display there, shortly. see at:
http://members.cox.net/barnstormer1/churchl.jpg

I'd never even heard of the "Church" engine. It jsut amazes me thta so many folsk wer out ther building engines.
jgertler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to list the specific name for this engine. Just as heath made a lot of different types of Henderson conversion parts for homebuilders-and listed their Own factory built engine as the B-4...Jim Church also modified a number of Hendersons with Heath parts before deciding he could design a better conversion. The Church built engine was called a J-3 Marathon. I was told he built only three of them, but I suspect there were more. I think this one is the only one known to survive.
UAHArchives

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reguard to the Church radial engine. There were suveral Ford Engines that had Church Modifications to them. Does any one know if this is the same church?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Air Racing - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: