enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with a Wright 3350 Compound turbo engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wright Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 19:41    Post subject: Help with a Wright 3350 Compound turbo engine. Reply with quote

I recently purchased this engine which was cosmolened. Im having trouble getting it to turn by way of the engine inertia starter. Will I have to wrench it from the propshaft etc? I also need a propshaft wrench. any help would be nice. I have hot washed the engine and now I feel more comfortable getting near it.
Any pictures on how to make an engine service stand?

Thanks in advance.
andrew
ckuhns

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 07:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,On ebay here is listed a P&W and Wright crank shaft turning tool. I do not know if it the proper one for a TC18.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pratt-and-Whitney-Wright-Radial-engine-crankshaft-wrench-P-N-1225-19-long-/250970834456?hash=item3a6f070618&item=250970834456&pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&vxp=mtr
What model TC18 do you have?
Regards Carl
lsmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:20    Post subject: CR 3350 Reply with quote

Carl thanks for the ebay listing URL but this wrench will not work for me. The shaft size is only 2 3/8" when the 3350 prop shaft is 4.5"
I do not know where the model number would be located so maybe you could help me there.
I also need a cylinder base screw wrench for this engine.
ckuhns

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 07:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an ebay listing for a cylinder base nut wrench.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURTISS-WRIGHT-RADIAL-ENGINE-CYLINDER-BASE-NUT-WRENCH-/110813040879?hash=item19ccf8d0ef&item=110813040879&pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&vxp=mtr
Concerning the ID of your TC18 if the data plate is missing perhaps the information in a TC18 article on the AEHS web site would be useful.
Carl
rkammlott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 07:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my canned 4360 turning by putting a propeller on with 1 blade and carefully strapped on a comealong and pulled it through. I had to soak the cylinders for a few days. There was preservative EVERYWHERE!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wright Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: