enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW IIIa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> DB, Junkers, Other German Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hfriedman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 18:32    Post subject: BMW IIIa Reply with quote

NACA Report 135 on this engine cites Report 1350 of the US Army Air Service Engineering Division. Does anyone know whther that is a different report and, if so, how to get acces to it? I am also interste in any other material on this enigne.
jkinney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb,
It is a different report. If it survives, two places it could be are the Sarah Clark Files at the National Archives (take a look at the AEHS online finding aid) or the Air Force's Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) at Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, AL. I've seen dozens of the same types of reports on airframe construction and propellers at AFHRA, but never looked at engine-related material there.
All the best,
Jeremy
Smithsonian Institution
hfriedman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try.
hfriedman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the particulars of the BMW IIIa six cylinder in line water cooled engine: Figures are in American units unless otherwise indicted.:

PARTICULARS OF THE B.M.W. ENGINES.

TYPE OF MOTOR BMW IIIA
HORSEPOWER 185
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS 6
BORE (INCHES) 5.9
STROKE (INCHES). 7.1
CONTINUOUS NORMAL OUTPUT AT GROUND LEVEL AT 1,400 REVS. PER MIN (H.P.) 185
NORMAL NUMBER OF REVOLUTIONS OF PROPELLER PER MINUTE 1,400
OUTPUT REMAINS CONSTANT TO A HEIGHT OF (FEET) 11,700
OUTPUT CAN BE TEMPORARILY INCREASED AT GROUND LEVEL TO (H.P.) 240
FUEL CONSUMPTION PER I.E. (OZ) 7
<FUEL CONSUMPTION PER I.E. (POUNDS)> .438
LUBRICATING OIL PER H.P. (OZ) 0.35
SERVICE WEIGHT OF ENGINE, EXCLUDING WATER, OIL AND PROPELLER HUB (*INCLUDING REDUCING GEAR (LB) *630
WEIGHT OF COOLING WATER (LB) 27.5
WRIGHT OF OIL IN CRANK CASING (LB) 8.8
WEIGHT OF PROPELLER HUB 14.4

REPORT No. 135, PERFORMANCE OF B. M. W. 185-HORSEPOWER AIRPLANE ENGINE By S. W. SPARROW Bureau of Standards states:

"The engine has six vertical water-cooled cylinders with a bore of 5.90 inches, a stroke of 7.09 inches, and a compression ratio of 6.7. Report No. 1350 of the Engineering Division describes the engine. Descriptions have appeared also in some of the automotive journals.' The engine is not designed for full-throttle operation at ground-level densities. In fact, because of the high-compression ratio, such operation with ordinary aviation gasoline is likely to result in preignition.”

Apparently the compression ration of this engine was 6.37:1 compared with 4.64 for the Mercedes and it was known as an “overcompressed engine.”

Herschel Smith wrote in Aircraft Piston engines. “Such engines would destroy themselves if operated at full throttle a low altitudes . . .”

The engines were designed to optimize performance at the increasingly high altitudes were combat was occurring during the last year of the Great War. However, they were used to some extent in civilian aircraft in 1919-21 when most of the flying was done at low altitude. It would have made a considerable difference if it was possible to run the engine at full bore for a minuet or two at sea level for take-off. And my question is does it seem possible that this couldhave been done without a severe risk of destructive detonation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> DB, Junkers, Other German Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: