enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turbofan question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Gas Turbines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 19:42    Post subject: Turbofan question Reply with quote

Question: assuming constant TIT at which bypass ratio the bypassed air starts producing more thrust than the combustion gases?
jschauer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted one of our powerplant engineers about that question. It may be a few weeks before I get an answer. I'm using a GE CF6-80C engine as an example.
jschauer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's the answer. I contacted our Lead powerplant engineer and this is what he said in regards to a GE CF6-80C.
"The CF6 engine is a high bypass fan engine. 80% of the thrust is produced by the 1st stage fan, while 20% comes from the core through the low pressure turbine. The question of at what point the fan produces more thrust than the core is a very difficult, if not impossible, question to answer. There are too many variables such as atmospheric conditions and engine efficency that would have an affect. At idle, the fan is already producing more thrust than the gases produced through the core."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Gas Turbines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: