enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reclined pilot experiment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Non-Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 22:42    Post subject: Reclined pilot experiment Reply with quote

A while ago I was informed of an experiment undertaken by the USA (Navy?). An aircraft was set up with the pilot in a reclined position (NOT prone, as would be the case for a hang glider). The pilot was fully reclined and had his field of vision enhanced with mirrors and a periscope. A series of flights was made. This program probably occurred during the 1950s or 1960s as an experiment to seek better pilot resistance against the effects of high-G manoeuvres.

This reclined pilot aircraft was mentioned in a book written by a test pilot (possibly Roland Beamont). I recall the book to have been about each of the aircraft flown by the test pilot during his career- including captured aircraft during WW2. He did not fly the reclined position aircraft but mentioned it in a section about a prone pilot aircraft.

I would like to know the name, type and manufacturer of the aircraft. Also, does anyone know what the results of the tests were or where I could locate information?

Thanks for your assistance.

Gerald Ryan

Note: I have been searching for this information for some time and lost track of whether I posted it here previously or not. Apologies if I had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Non-Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: