enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wright 3350

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wright Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrussell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 07:33    Post subject: wright 3350 Reply with quote

I was told that the late model 3350 used ceramic coated pistons and combustion chambers - is this true? If true, which model, and when? Is there a good book on the 3350 ? Questions, Questions.
gwhite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of ceramic coated pistons or combustion chambers but I believe parts of the exhasut system may have been ceramic coated.

No one to my knowledge has written a book dedicated to the 3350 - wanna give it a shot?
ckuhns

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 07:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Kevin Cameron would author a book on the Wright r-3350. Judging from some his columns in Torque Meter he has done research on the subject and he has the necesary writing skills but I supose he is kept busy writing for Cycle World magazine.
ckuhns

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piston domes of the 988TC18Ea series were nickel plated to reduce the effect of lead bromide attack. This information comes frpm a Wright Company publication titled "Details of Design Features of the 3400 HP 988TC18EA series Engines" Carl
tfey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a flight hood (covers and ducts the exhaust and turbine cooling air) from the power rrecovery turbine. It has a greeen ceramic coating on the external surfaces, however I'm not sure if thiis is a"factory" coating or a "modern" update. Interstingly, the flioght hood is considered and arofraem component, not an engine component.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wright Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: