enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graham´s R-4360 book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwhite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have kept up with the correspondence. Yes, the 4360 book is now avaialable, I got my copy last week. I am estatic over the quality and reproduction of the images. After the SAE fiascos I did all my own scanning this time. What will not be apparent, except to me, are the endless hours spent "doctoring" up old line drawings and photos. For instance I redid most if not all the line work and text on all the line drawings, talk about a time consumnig process. However, the results have been well worth it. I think readers wil be pleasantly surprised at how many variations on the 4360 were made. It includes a nice color section and the price, to AEHS members is a steal. Dave Arnold, owner of Specialty Press and AEHS member, is offering an unheard of 40% discount that would price it at under $40.00..!! And this is a 600 plus page book on glossy paper with a color section, doesn't get much better than that. If you are a gear head then this one should satisfy your appetite.
pshort

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

Congratulations and thanks for all the effort!
I am looking forward to getting the 4360 book - will wait for the Torque Meter brochure to arrive.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some dispreparency over the availability of the book. A friend of mine called the publisher last week (Thursday) and was told that the book will be out in March. So, was Graham´s copy an advance copy of some sort or was there lack of info on their phone service?
gwhite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I got an advance copy - possibly so. Specialty wanted to make sure that the book would be really available by March as it would be a no-no to annouce a book and then have it late in arriving. In reality I believe it may be available by mid to late February - but don't quote me on that..!! I strongly recommend that you wait until the next edition of TM. A flyer will be inclded that offers a 40% discount putting it under $40.00. A steal of a deal if ever there was one.

I really apprecaite the kind comments made about the book even though folks have not seen it yet. I hope their faith is well founded. As previously mentioned, I feel quite proud of this effort, thanks in no small part to the great job Specialty did.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news: Graham´s copy was indeed an advance one and the main stock is estimated to arrive in late March/early April. This according to Nancy Kuhnz of Specialty Press.
wallan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 05:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was home in Scotland for the first time in 6 months, and had a quick look at Graham's book. It's an excellent effort. One thing I can help with is Graham's puzzlement about why Daimler-Benz persevered with the coupled engines on the Heinkel He 177, instead of changing it to 4 single engines: the simple answer is that the engineers at Heinkel and D-B were told, by non-technical superiors, after years of failure, to "Shut up, never mention that aircraft or those engines again, go away and make it work, or else!"

The longer version is quite simply fascinating. If I get time, I'll try and write something about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: