enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

double acting recips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:24    Post subject: double acting recips Reply with quote

Have double acting piston engines been tried on aircraft?
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several double-acting aircraft engines are listed in Aerosphere 1939:
The Behmann, an Italian water-cooled, compression-ignition, inline six that produced 980 hp @ 1,800 rpm;
The Besler was a US double-acting, 90-degree-V compound steam engine that first flew in a Travel Air on April 12, 1933;
The Deeble was a US air-cooled inverted inline six that produced 300 hp @ 2,000 rpm;
The Dermont was a French air-cooled rotary six circa 1913;
The Dufaux was a French five-cylinder two-stroke;
The M.A.N. was a German liquid-cooled, two-stroke, seven-cylinder Airship Diesel that produced 1,000 hp @ 1,000 rpm (1932).
gryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 00:11    Post subject: The earliest double-acting IC aviation engine to fly. Reply with quote

Richard Pearse, considered by some to have flown a heavier than air machine prior to the Wright Bros., built double acting piston engines. Pearse was a farmer who constructed all manner of inventive machinery during his life (including bicycles). One of his double acting engines was used in his aircraft. Labouring alone and and isolation, he was considered a crank by neighbours and accused of being "mad" by many even after making his first flight.

For obvious reasons, outside NZ the story of "Mad" Richard Pearse and his work is not well known.
pshort

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I have a photo I took a few years ago in Lucerne at the Technical Museum there. They have a very old aero engine, a pretty ingenious looking contraption that was double-acting if I remember correctly.
Let me know if you would like me to dig out the photo. It was a very interesting engine!
wallan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 05:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that Philip Jarrett, and others, have debunked a certain person's efforts to blow Richard Pearse's trumpet. (Even Mr. Pearse had the grace to admit he wasn't the first) Try to read some of the reviews in Aeroplane Monthly about certain books from NZ on this item.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: