enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand crank for a R-985

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdrews

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 17:31    Post subject: Hand crank for a R-985 Reply with quote

I'm restoring a R-985-25 and I thought I would like to be able to hand crank it to life. I wasn't too serious until I read the article on accessories on our website and now I know a lot more than I did and I'm really fired up about the idea. I have an Eclipse E-160 electric starter. Does anyone know if the hand crank attachment is available somewhere? Has anyone actually used a hand crank on this engine and have good advice to pass along?
gwhite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by:
Does anyone know if the hand crank attachment is available somewhere?

Are you talking about the handle? Or the right angle drive in the starter for the hand crank mechanism? I've never been able to locate a handle but I haven't looked that hard either. For a while I was thinking of hand cranking the IV-1430 but that idea is now nixed; too much stuff in the way and it's too balky starting.
As far has cranking them by hand, I agree it is great fun. Takes a while to get the flywheel spun up and after a few attempts you may want to use battery power instead.!
pdrews

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for the mating bevel gear unit that would mate with the starter. I realize the only people who might still be interested in having hand-crank capability are bush pilots who might face being stranded somewhere, but I'm going to proceed until some problem comes up that's simply unsolvable. I'll probably design one myself but I thought I would ask about off-the-shelf units anyway.
jschauer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:03    Post subject: Hand crank Reply with quote

I used to fly a BT-13A, and we could hand crank it or use the aircraft battery. The starter should have the adapter already built into it with a small lever to be used to engage the starter. Hand cranks are fairly common to find, one from a Stearman will work just fine. What is rare is an electric crank... it consists of the ninety degree crank except instead of a handle there is an electric motor for either 12 or 24 volts. You insert the crank and start the motor to winding up the fly wheel, when the proper speed is reached you remove the crank and pull the t-handle to engage the starter. We would hand crank the BT once in awhile for fun, but you better have the engine ready to run as we would run out of energy to crank it again if the engine didn't start the first time. Everyone I know of just loved to hear that starter wind up before engaging it.
pdrews

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 08:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'll be the first to admit that hand cranking is pure nostalgia. It had ocurred to me that the BT-13 and the folks who fly them would be a good source of information. I've been searching the warbird websites looking for parts, but nothing yet. I'll keep an eye out for the electrified version too. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: