enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4360 Date Plate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrussell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 21:50    Post subject: 4360 Date Plate Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where to look for the Data Plate on a 4360? At the museum I work at there is a cutaway 4360 and I was trying to determine the " dash" number of the engine. I could not find it so i assumed that it would be where the cutaway was. Lo and behold, another complete engine showed up. There is no Data Plate where the cutaway is on the other engine - where are they located?
szielinski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice this post is getting quite a few reads. Perhaps someone who is WRITING A BOOK ON THE 4360 may be able to contribute ?
(hello Graham !!)
gwhite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I was asleep at the wheel (keyboard?). The data plate is mounted on the nose case. Unfortunetly, it's just bolted on with locking tabs so it's easy to liberate. Unlike most which are riveted on making it a little more difficult to steal.

Apologies for the late response - Graham.
jrussell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 00:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the response, Graham. That is where I assumed the data plate would be, so when I could not even find any holes drilled for the mounting rivets (assuming it would be mounted in a similiar fashion to other P+W engines), I asked the Curator what was going on.The engine is installed in a spare nacelle for the Spruce Goose (H-4, aka HK-1) we have sitting on the floor next to the Spruce Goose. When Howard Hughes ordered the engines from Pratt Whitney for the Spruce Goose and XF-11 programs, he specified they would be delivered WITHOUT data plates! As well, he demanded that they be motored continously while in transit, and would have hot oil circulating through the engine. How would you like to be the poor salesman detailed to deal with Mr. Hughes? As a separate question, do you know which "dash number" the cutaway 4360's that P+W supplied to training schools were? The one the museum has is a two speed, single stage. Can't wait for the 4360 book.
gwhite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 08:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of Hughes' requirement for no data plate. Not sure how he got awqay with that as it's a CAA/FAA requirement.
P&W cut away a number of differnt dash numbers. For instance I've seen B-36 engines and -59s and others cut away.
jrussell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones on the H-4 for the flight were engines borrowed from the Navy, and returned after the first flight ( so I am assuming that they DID have a data plate ). The ones he ordered as replacements ( 20 engines, including the ones on the H-4 currently ) are the ones without a data plate. When I was first told about this, that was the first thought that popped into my mind, trying to get a Navy inspector to pass off on an aircraft that had no engine serial #'s! What there is no record of, is WHY Hughes made this demand. Another in a long list of reasons why the Navy ( or Army ) wanted nothing to do with Hughes.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewing from behind, the right hand side.
On the propeller reduction gear casing , just in front and below the lower
magneto, is a pad area with 4 small holes for the data plate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: