enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question concerning P&W R-2180 engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckuhns

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 19:25    Post subject: Question concerning P&W R-2180 engines Reply with quote

I am a bit confused about the R-2180 engines.A bit of research on the internet has left me with the impression that there were two versions of this powerplant. The early one was used in the pre war Douglass DC-4E. Post war a Sabb Scanbia list a r-2180-E1 as its powerplant.One source states that this post war engine was 1/2 of a r-4360.
Is this correct? Does anyone have any information that they could add? Thanks Carl

e
gwhite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct - there were two distinctly different 2180s. The pre war one was a conventional 14 cylinder two row. The post war "E" series was new design. Although it appears to be 1/2 a 4360, in fact there were some significant changes. For instance the exhaust and intake ports were reversed. On the 2180 (post war) the exhaust exited through the top of the cylinder and the intake came in from the side - opposite to a 4360. The 2180 used up draft induction as well. However, looking at the 2180 it is evident that its design was influenced by the 4360 but to say it was 1/2 a 4360 is not true.
ckuhns

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 18:07    Post subject: P&W R-2180 Reply with quote

Graham, Thanks so much for the informative reply.I wonder if there are any examples of either type R-1280 engine still in existance? Carl
gwhite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 09:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen one "E" series (post war) 2180 and that one is located in the P&W museum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Pratt & Whitney Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: