enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need sugestions about book collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhavemann

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 15:02    Post subject: Need sugestions about book collection Reply with quote

I am trying to decide what will become of my 50 year collection
of books after I make the trip to That big BAR ROOM up in the sky.
I want to share all the pleasure that I have enjoyed from them over the
years. These are technical and classic volumes about internal combustion
engines and high performance vehicles. they are not for sale ... I am
looking for a good and careing home. Ideas are welcome..

on stand by Very Happy
jrussell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! - what a problem. The easy thing to do would be to post a list, and see who wants which book(s), which would still entail a lot of work on your part. In the spirit of the Society, however, there may be some alternate approaches, ones which allow the dissemination of the information. (A) - People volunteer to scan, and make available on the web, information on the book(s) they have been "loaned".This supposes there is not a copyright issue on the manuscript. (B) - Establishment of a private library, with Society members allowed to check out the manuscripts for a given period. Obviously, this would be done by mail, given the geographical spread of the membership. Hope this is of some help.
rhavemann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:16    Post subject: How to share vintage tech books ???? Reply with quote

j russell... thank you for your replie ...The problem is how to insure universal accessibilty for all. keep up the feed back ....
again thank you ..... Smile
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of members and other supporters have expressed a desire to donate their collections of engine books and technical data to the AEHS. The AEHS is pleased to announce the conclusion of negotiations that will provide an impressive home for such donations.

The M. Louis Salmon Library Archives of the University of Alabama in Huntsville (hereafter “Archives”) has agreed to provide storage, processing and access to the AEHS Collection. The Collection will be cataloged, accessioned, and stored as the “Aircraft Engine Historical Society Collection”. It will be in good company, sharing space with existing collections on the Saturn V, Lunar Rover Vehicle, and Skylab, to name but a few.

The AEHS Collection now contains over 300 items. We are in the process of moving these to the Archives. As existing or new items are processed, each item will appear in the on-line database, along with an attribution to the donor. All items will be available in the Archives for use by AEHS Members and by the public at large.

Here is the best part: The Archives will encourage and promote unrestricted access, duplication and distribution of all items in the collection that are in the public domain (this is nearly everything) at no cost or at a minimal cost. While the Archives presently does not charge for the use of any holdings nor has any plans to, the AEHS understands that a reasonable fee for its use may eventually be required. Both the Archives and the AEHS are in agreement that this fee not be so large as to inhibit scholarship or the low-cost reproduction of items in the collection via any available technology. This means that one can visit the Archives and take away a copy of nearly anything in the AEHS collection, or that one can hire someone to do the same thing in your place.

I want to encourage AEHS members to donate to the Collection. I have just changed my will so that all of the books, manuals, pictures, technical data, research material and electronic scans in my personal collection will ultimately join the AEHS Collection.

More information about the Archives can be viewed at:
http://www.uah.edu/library/about/department/archives.htm
More information about the AEHS Collection can be viewed at:
http://archives.uah.edu/aircraft/aircraft.html
jkinney

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very exciting news!!! Combined with the world-class aeronautical archival and book collections at Auburn University as well as the USAF Historical Research Agency and Air University Library in Montgomery, the state of Alabama is further cementing its place as a center for aerospace history.

Excellent work, Kim!!
Smithsonian Institution
sbezman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 08:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Torque Meter have an article describing the Archives and how to submit contributions? Thank you. Steve
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will Torque Meter have an article describing the Archives and how to submit contributions? Thank you. Steve

I plan to do an article when the processing gets far enough along that entries appear on the Archives' web site.

You can make tax-deductible donations at any time by simply sending the books or documents to the Society at our usual mailing address. We will continue to be involved in the accession process for new material.
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 09:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postscript to this thread:
Sadly, rhavemann passed away in 2005. It is not known what happened to his book collection; it was not donated to the AEHS.

If you want your collection to have a good permanent home (i.e., not be sold for scrap on Ebay), please please please change your will to leave your collection to the AEHS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: