enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAE papers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 03:05    Post subject: SAE papers Reply with quote

Has anyone read the following SAE papers?

Document Number: 1999-01-5583
Title: Diesel Aircraft Engines: a Delayed Promise From the 1930s

Document Number: 985597
Title: Barrel Aircraft Engines: Historical Anomaly Or Stymied Innovation?

I'd like to know if they were useful. One or two of the SAE papers I have bought, in the past, have been a bit expensive for three or so pages.

Cheers.
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 05:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a copy of "Barrel Aircraft Engines: Historical Anomaly Or Stymied Innovation?" IIRC, it cost $25.00 for ten pages. Mine came from AIAA, not SAE, but I believe it was presented at one of the Joint Propulsion Conferences. It surveys of the most prominent barrel engines, classifying them by kinematic scheme (geared crank, wobble plate and cam). When I ordered the paper, I had hopes it would answer the question it asked, but it doesn’t. I suppose that for 10 pages it does what it can. The images are tiny and of the quality you would get from a photocopier. Perhaps its greatest value is its bibliography.
Having presented to this same group under these same rules, I understand what the author was up against. Ten pages is precious little space to do justice to any topic, especially a historical one that almost begs for nice pictures.
wallan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 06:44    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. It's 12 bucks to download from the SAE, but not worth it at more than a dollar a page. (got stung real bad with an SAE paper a few years ago)
Do they mention the barrel engine from around the end of WW1 that I saw in an advert in a WW1 Aero magazine: name escapes me at the moment.

Saw some others SAE papers I'm interested in from one of our members, Larry Rinek: hope he makes the convention and can give us a few lectures.

Anybody got any news on what happened to that engine previewed (advertised more like) in EAA Sport Aviation, a few years back, where the pistons are (six?) round bars bent into a shallow Vee, and they reciprocate as the two ends of the engine rotate? (looks like an industrial-sized 135 degree pipe bend)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: