enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V-1710-111/113 power potential with ADI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Allison Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 09:47    Post subject: V-1710-111/113 power potential with ADI Reply with quote

Since Whitney´s bible on the subject does not provide the answer, maybe you can. With 100/130 fuel plus water injection, what would the dash-111/113 Allison been capable of at WER? My estimate would be about 1900-2000 hp at sea level.

Second cause of wonder is why paddle bladed props were never fitted to the standard P-38. There should have been real technical reason against it. Yet considerable improvement in performance was observed with the P-47 with the new prop. It seems that the improved prop was only planned for the K model plus some protos, but never on standard Lightnings.
tmcdaid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 20:28    Post subject: Re: No Paddle Props on P-38s Reply with quote

Is it because the the V1710s had significantly less power under normal operating conditions than the R2800s? From what I've read, without the paddle blades, the R2800s were somewhat overpowering the propellor. Fewer (and longer) blades are more desirable from a transmission efficiency standpoint, but sometimes you need more and/or wider blades to adequately transmit the power and still fit within the physical limitations of the overall aircraft design.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 18:32    Post subject: props Reply with quote

I don´t buy that. Please see the prop the P-51D had: four wider blades.
tmcdaid

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point. Although, what about the diameter of the props? I haven't found anything specific about the prop size on the 38, but I did find vague references that suggest the later 47s had a 13' prop while 51 had an 11'2" prop. The 13 footer gives you more than 35% more disc area (although the useful area is probably closer), so the power difference may not be totally out of the question. Surely someone out there has definitive information on this?

I also found one reference to a single P-38 (H model, maybe?) built with the higher-powered Allison and it mentioned that it had paddle props, although no info on size or number of blades. They weren't put into production because of engine availability issues. I assume that's because of the huge demand for V-1710s for existing planes. Interesting.

Anyone have more and/or better information?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Allison Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: