enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P+W r2800 book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrussell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 00:07    Post subject: P+W r2800 book Reply with quote

This question is to Graham White. As I was perusing a local bookstore web site, they list a copy of your 2800 book as being published by the Crowood Press, in England ( They want $95.00 for it! ). Considering the discussion regarding the SAE publishing quality previous, is this the SAE published book just flown back and forth the Atlantic a few times, or, is this actually published by a different entity? Basically, the question is, is the paper and printing quality the same? As an aside, have you ever considered selling high quality inkjet or photographic prints of the images in the book? Being a person that loves to get as much information out of a photograph as I can, I am often tantalized ( and frustrated ) by the limitations in book publishing, as far as high resolution images are concerned. ( For Whom it Concerns - the same applies to the images in the Calender - they are beautiful - but I would love to have a bigger print I could frame !!) P.S. The Toronado book just showed up, and it is excellent.
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not Graham but maybe I can be of minor help. As far as I know, both editions have exactly similar quality, i.e. printing and paper suck badly. On the other hand, I paid about the same for my copy years ago and I have not regretted buying it! As Graham can testify, I have had some complaints over some wording in it, but it is an essential addition to any engine freak library.

It should be also mentioned that the original British publisher was Airlife. They went bankcrupt a few years ago, but Crowood bought it and it now continues to publish under Crowood´s umbrella.

If I had had some authority over the production of this book, I would have redone the textual layout entirely (to something like in Dan Whitney´s Allison book) as it is very wasteful of space right now, enlarged the format to A4, used art paper and professional scanning and processing throughout. The end product would have been very beautiful piece of art!

Jukka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: