enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practical Questions on Ground Running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mreithaar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 02:48    Post subject: Practical Questions on Ground Running Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am a new member, and like most, looking for a big engine to restore and run. A couple questions for those who do this, like Graham and The Wrenchmann:
Dou you guys use just a 24V battery for starting? Or also a ground power unit? (Should I have not sold that neat little Andover APU that I had?)
What if you need to do multiple starts in a 1 hour period? Does the battery handle that OK? (I assume you run generators with charging systems for your batteries)
I'd be interested to talk with you, rneal, about the Liberty, especially since you are in my area.
I have also recently been to Switzerland and England and saw a lot of neat engines in museums that I wish I could have taken home to share with this group!

Max
gwhite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 09:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max - excellent questions. Regarding the battery, all you need is two 12V automotive batteris hooked up in series. I think I paid about $40 each for mine, you could probably get them for a lot less. Power is power and the starter motor doesn't care if it gets its juice from $60 worth of car batteries or a $500 aircraft battery. There is ample power for multiple starts from this set-up. No need for any type of GPU, in fact I don't even charge my batteries between starts. However, when I go to an event I make sure the batteries are fully charged.
Best of luck on finding and restoring a big engine. Keep us posted on your progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: