enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ultimate engine - Transcalent cooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szielinski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 00:05    Post subject: Ultimate engine - Transcalent cooling Reply with quote

Thought I'd just separate this idea out from Kim & Jukka's thread-weaving.
This is a scrape from my (as yet unposted) ultimate PD engine idea.

"Operating temperature is reached swiftly as no cooling occurs until sufficient heat convents through the internal wicks. Once operating temperature is reached, the phase of the cooling liquid changes from liquid (next to the cylinder) and travels through internal screens and orifices where it changes to gas. Once evaporated, the gas condenses on internal fins and travels back to the cylinder wall. This system has no moving parts and can dissipate large amounts of heat if sufficient cooling air is provided. Transcalent cooling systems are also lightweight as the internal cavity is mostly empty space."

Currently this technology is used when space is at a premium. ie in high-wattage thyristors in the power industry. As an example, the book I have at home shows a thyrisor <2" diameter, <4" long that can dissipate 500 Watts (with 300cfm airflow - sorry dunno air temperature). These dimensions include the cooling fins.

The point is, semiconductors are MOST intolerant of excess temperature, and if such devices are used where reliability is a concern, then we have an idea worth pursuing, especially considering the TBO.

Plusses:- No moving parts, high heat dissipation, low/no maintenance, looks trick.
Minusses:- External fins and fans, head and barrel may need separate systems.

I will try and post some more info on this method soon.
gryan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:16    Post subject: Heat Pipes Reply with quote

I tried posting a reply to you previously but something went wrong.

Die casters use the method described to control the internal temperatures of their high and low pressure dies. The approach gives close and accurate control of temperature. It can be made spot or area specific and is known to be capable of dealing with high rates of heat transfer.

This is a clever idea. Wish I'd thought of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: