enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knowledge of engines in aircraft books (or lack of it)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Non-Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjuutinen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 15:17    Post subject: Knowledge of engines in aircraft books (or lack of it) Reply with quote

In otherwise good new book on the P-51 Mustang (author is Paul Ludwig and publisher is Classic) there are some odd errors as far engines goes. For example, the description of the two stage MerlinĀ“s intercooling system is quite wrong (page 64 or 65).

In his P-38 book Warren Bodie claims that those early Allisons that had no turbo were unsupercharged! When I pressed him on this he explained that "...those had BLOWERS, not superchargers." Yeah, right.

Any other examples in this?

Jukka Juutinen
rinkol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of thing seems quite common, particularly in books involving translated material. Typical examples include:

- two speed superchargers refered to as two stage superchargers
-GM1 nitrous oxide power boost system referred to as "Glycol-Methanol"

Robert
szielinski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 21:22    Post subject: Doctor Barnestorme Replies Reply with quote

It appears as though the Aircraft fratenity require an expert like the infamous "Dr. Stereo" from the audio asylum forums. Fortunately I have found such a person - his name is Dr. Barnestorme and here is one of his posts (from an obscure and unknown discussion group).
Hope you enjoy Smile Smile

Hi,

I'm Doctor Barnstorme and I'd want to clarify a few things about the engine data in my new book - "The day the crank stood still".

Firstly, the translations I used are correct, as deemed by "German.kidspeak.com" and my drinking buddy at the Bavarian club.

You WILL find that the engine used in the Junkers FW-190G IS a bi-rotor centrifugal two-stroke with intermeshed exhaust cooling augmented by feed-forward exhaust stacks and belt-driven spark plugs.

(The belts were used in the latter part of the war due to a shortage of cams as everything was flattened in Duisburg)

Also, the 'Einspritzpumpe' was not for fuel injection as incorrectly stated by some less knowledgeable people, but for a refreshing carbonated drink dispensed on long-range bombing missions in this sprint fighter.

There have also been erroneous reports of a lack of a first aid kit in this aircraft. If one peruses the engine cutaway diagram on the cover, you will see that there is a SchlammablaB compartment underneath the engine. This is NOT some kind of sump/sludge filter, but a mud pack for fuel burns often encountered when undertaking in-flight maintenance on this single-seat aircraft.

Also, the Gefahrenmanlage (GM1) unit is NOT for power boosting of the engine by nitrous oxide, but a relaxation gas for the pilot in combat or emergency (hence the name, Gefahren-Anlage->Risky Situation).

It was only mounted to the engine to get a good electrical earth as it was triggered by detecting conductivity variations due to the sweaty palms pilots had during such periods.

I hope this clears up any confusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Non-Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: