enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wright State University Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 07:18    Post subject: Wright State University Project Reply with quote

Here is something I hope that all members will consider.

The Wright State University Libraries have around 1300 rolls of early Wright Aeronautical micro film they intend to restore due to the original film being contaminated / infected.

The project estimates / quotes total $51,090.00 US. This sum includes making both master and use copies and detruction of the original film.

The Libraries seek donations to help fund this project.

The film is currently inaccesible, being off site and stored in freezing temperatures.

If you want to make a donation, checks should be made payable to the Wright State University Libraries and mailed to:

Dawne Dewey
Head, Special Collections and Archives
Wright State University Libraries
3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy.
Dayton, Ohio 45435

I have a selfish interest here - I hope to eventually obtain Wright 1820 "F" Series drawings from this collection.
jkinney

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wright Aero drawing collection is unprecedented and will prove to be a valuable resource once it is preserved and catalogued. I worked closely with Dawne Dewey and her folks at WSU to get the collection there. She is performing yeoman work in preserving those drawings and microfilm. Also, the USAF Museum is helping out with keeping the microfilm stabilized in cold storage.

I was able to take a look at some of the microfilm. In addition to Wright Aero drawings from 1919 to the late 1950s, the late 1910s-early 1920s Curtiss projects are on microfilm, including the D-12 racing engines. This stuff will not see the light of day until it can be preserved and catalogued, which requires funding.

Kudos to John for encouraging AEHS members to help.
Smithsonian Institution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: