enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

model engine pushrods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Model Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dquartermaine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 05:51    Post subject: model engine pushrods Reply with quote

Hi builders,
As there are no questions on the board there must be quite a few experts out there. I am a self taught machinist ( I make lots of mistakes) currently building the Bob Roach/ Bruce Satra P&W Wasp Junior. As a way of getting this potentionally usefully facility working would anyone like to comment on making pushrods accurate in length and ballhead diameter. In my case 60mm long with 3/32 ball at both ends.
Strictly I.C. is sorely missed and this category could go someway to filling the void.
wrenchmann

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:53    Post subject: pushrods Reply with quote

HI... Have you tried use ing 3/32 ball bearings brazed, to cut to length tubeing?? At the least they all end up being the same lenghth. be carfull , not to much brazeing material!! Do not worry about makeing mistakes!!this is how we get experince..I have made a lot of mistakes ,so I must be very experinced...just do not keep making the same ones over &over Good Luck and have FUN Smile
mrehmus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just shown a pushrod made from tubing with a ball-bearing welded to both ends with a laser. Very nice job, the balls won't crack and they were not softened on the wear surfaces. Looked like the world's neatest and smallest TIG welder did the job.

Mike Rehmus
Editor, Model Engine Builder Magazine
www.modelenginebuilder.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Model Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: