enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schlaifer//Heron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmraz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:47    Post subject: Schlaifer//Heron Reply with quote

I bought a copy of the Schlaifer/Heron classic ("Development of Aircraft Engines"/"Development of Aviation Fuels") that appears to be a reprint. Can anyone who owns an original tell me whether it contained any plates (illustrations)? My copy doesn't, and from reading a few score of pages, there aren't any references to them.

Fascinating reading BTW!
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The edition I have, copyrighted and published in 1950, has only one illustration, and that is the Harvard Shield on the title page. I am not counting the molecular diagrams of hydrocarbons and anti-knock compounds in Technical Appendix B.
hfriedman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 07:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the 1950 editon, which apears to be the first edition. There are no plates but there are molecular diagrams dealing with fuel in Appendex B.
pshort

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 01:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought the CD version of this book and printed it out - what an excellent book! I can't understand why it hasn't been re-printed, (well maybe it has??). I haven't read Herons section on fuels yet, but the Schlaifer engine part is very well written and interesting all the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: