enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-Stroke tuning/timing information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szielinski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 17:25    Post subject: 2-Stroke tuning/timing information Reply with quote

I'm having trouble finding anything on the web that relates to asymmetrical timing/tuning for 2-strokes.
I have found plenty of stuff relating to simple piston-ported 2-strokes, but it is all based around the obvious symmetry of such a design.
I have the RRHT book on the Crecy, but it only describes what the port timings ended up being, not how they were derived or what worked best at what load/rpm.
Ideas anyone ?
jrussell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 04:29    Post subject: Two stroke tuning Reply with quote

Back in the the mid 70's, a book titled " Two stroke tuners handbook" was written by a gentleman named Gordon Jennings ( who wrote a column for Cycle magazine). It was an overview of the tuning theory largely explaining the fundamentals of intake and exhaust harmonics, giving the formula for pridicting wave timing and amplitude. It cited many SAE papers, published by Honda and Yamaha engineers. As I remember, it was far superior to the average writing on the subject, in terms of giving a technical understanding of the subject. I wish Kevin Cameron would write a similiar tome! Also, as a rather unusual suggestion, I would like to propose as a possibility, researching Navy training manuals published in the 50's and 60's. I have found them to be a suprisingly good source of indepth technical information regarding design philosophy. The manuals written after this were " dumbed down " tremendously.
szielinski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
Since I'm in Australia, I doubt I'd have the access to documents you would, but you've got me thinking, I do have a friend in the RAAF who might just....
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posed this question to Kevin Cameron who suggested

Schweitzer, Paul H.
SCAVENGING OF TWO-STROKE CYCLE DIESEL ENGINES.
The Macmillan Co., 1949.

I found five of these available from http://www.abebooks.com/ starting at around US $22.00. Most are in the US and one is in the UK, but unfortunately none in Australia.

According to Kevin, Mr. Schweitzer uses time-area analysis to decide the shape, size and placement of ports.
wallan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 07:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

One book, unfortunately out of print, that you might like to look at is C. Bossaglia’s, Two-stroke High Performance Engine Design and Tuning. (he’s the guy who was behind IAME engines, plus a number of car, motorbike and karting engines)

http://www.lortim.demon.co.uk/reviews/Bossaglia.htm

He seems to be the last hands-on developer, before the age of the computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: