enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1910 Fiat S76 Airship Engine. (28 litre, 4 cylinders !)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfairchild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 14:20    Post subject: 1910 Fiat S76 Airship Engine. (28 litre, 4 cylinders !) Reply with quote

Would anyone out there have knowledge of such an engine in a museum or other collection ? The chance to examine one close hand is needed to aid a restoration project (not my own unfortunately !).
lmoretti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 15:42    Post subject: Fiat S76A engine Reply with quote

One such engine is exhibited at the Politecnico di Torino engine collection, in Turin, Italy.

What is the subject of the restoration?
jfairchild

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 15:04    Post subject: Fiat S76A Airship Engine Reply with quote

Thank you for the information, which I have passed on.
The project is apparently to reconstruct a running Tipo S76 Fiat car ('The Beast of Turin') using period mechanical parts. All has been obtained with the exception of the engine for which a full set of detailed drawings have been supplied by Fiat. It would be ideal if some original parts can be found (a complete engine ideally !). All information in this direction would be gratefully received.
N.B There is a short history of the car, and photographs in 'Aero-Engined Racing Cars at Brooklands' by Bill Boddy. ISBN 0 85429 867 3.
jfairchild

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 15:50    Post subject: 6 Cylinders, 69 litres ! Reply with quote

Looking through Alec lumsdens book "British Piston Aero Engines ...". I notice the Beardmore 'Typhoon I' which appears to be a 6 cylinder water cooled inline gasoline engine of 4207 cu. in. (approx. 69 litres). What's more, it appears to have gone in an aircraft not an airship.
Does anyone know of an aircraft engine cylinder of larger volume ? !
As someone who became fascinated with aero engines because of the sound (predictably a Merlin !), what would this engine have sounded like?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: