enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rolls VS Packard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> British Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mreithaar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 16:22    Post subject: Rolls VS Packard Reply with quote

Graham,
I was going to post here and ask about this very topic, but you beat me to it with your Torque Meter editorial. A good freind of mine occasionally tells me how Packard totally re-designed the Merlin to have half as many parts and make twice as much power as the Rolls Royce version. This from a fellow who's father was a B17 and later Mustang pilot in WWII.
Thanks for helping to clear this up for us all. I will break the news to him gently!

P.S. Have you been to Rolls' small museum in their new training facility in Derby? I was there in 2001 for Trent 800 school, and at every break I was over there admiring the collection. One of the jewels in there is the piston they removed from the Schneider Cup racer the night before it won.

Max
gwhite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Max - yep, there are a lot of mis-conceptions out there. I'm not sure that I would try an convince your B-17/P-51 pilot acquiantence about what the real deal is - these folks are usually in total denial.

I visited the Derby Branch R-RHT museum about 5 years ago. Like all the Heritage Trust museums, it's a gold mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> British Engines All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: