enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Collection list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UAHArchives

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 20:52    Post subject: Engine Collection list Reply with quote

As an avid engine data collector and photographer I have an idea to put forth to the members of the AEHS. Since there is no really good reference list of engine collections here in the US and around the world how about we create our own list. I have traveled a lot of miles in the past 30 years visiting museums both public and private and have a very limited list of the places that I was able to find out about but I know there are some really good collections out there and I want to see them and photograph them.
Heres the idea-- the members of the AEHS are spread out over the country and some around the world if each of us would survey the areas around where we live and report this to a person who would put the list together it might be a good start.
Any thoughts from other members?
gbrossett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:04    Post subject: I'm for it! Reply with quote

I like the idea! Smile

1) The official, "Engines in Museums" list seems to trickle in, with only a hand full being submitted so far. Perhaps an unofficial, member provided, listing is what is needed. I make it a point to list the engines on display at each location I visit (providing I can identify them) and I'm sure many others do as well. I usually ask for the availablity of a list when I hand my cash to the folks at the counter.

2) Most museum websites list their artifacts, collection and aircraft, but very few list engines on display.

Great idea!

Gary
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>How about we create our own list [of engines in museums]?

I agree with Gary that lists of engines in museums (and other collections) submitted by AEHS members is a very good idea. We had hoped that if we provided a space for museums to showcase their engine collections that they would take advantage of the opportunity; They have not. In fact, most of the data in the “Engines in Museums” section of the AEHS web site was provided by AEHS members affiliated with those museums.

If AEHS members will e-mail lists of engines in museums, along with contact information for the museums (addresses, telephone numbers, web addresses, etc.), then I shall see that they are posted on the web site and will give credit to the AEHS member that provided the information if he/she so desires.
Thank you for the suggestion.
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first installment of the AEHS Members' List of Engines in Museums has been posted to the web site. Please see

http://www.enginehistory.org/aehs_list.htm
UAHArchives

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job well done Will send more as soon as I can.
mmraz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:34    Post subject: USAF Museum engine collection Reply with quote

I made a quick visit to the Air Force Museum last month and was very disappointed in their engine displays. To be fair, I was moving pretty fast and I was unfamiliar with their latest configuration (they built a new wing last year, and are rearranging aircraft and displays). But I could not find the motorized cut-away radial (R-985?) that had been there for many years, the cut-away R-3350 that accompanied "Bocks Car" was gone, and the cut-away of the R-4360 fuel injection carb was nowhere to be found.

I hope this is just a temporary situation. Is anyone from the Museum on the forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Collections/Restorations - General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: