enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

inertial starters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsimpson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:15    Post subject: inertial starters Reply with quote

Can anyone out there direct me to someone who might have an inertial engine starter that they are willing to sell? I don't know what a typical dollar value is for these starters but I am looking for one (or perhaps several, if they are of different manufacture) that is basically operable, or that could be made operable, for demonstration/educational use. It does not need to be an airworthy component. Any books or other printed informational material about inertial starters would be interesting to me also. Please mention any titles or make any suggestions where I might find reference publications. I know very little about the starters at this time but would like to become more informed. Question: were these starters made by the various engine companies, or were they made by bendix or delco or someone?

EDIT, 8-19: I should have stated that I was specifically interested in the hand crank/inertial type starters more so than the electric/inertial units.

Last edited by tsimpson on Tue Aug 19, 2003 09:29; edited 1 time in total
joder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 17:10    Post subject: Inertial Starters Reply with quote

There were both hand and hand electric versions, mostly by Bendix Eclipse. Many variations and clutch settings. For instance for the early 1820 Wright engines the clutch was set to 700 ft. lbs. There is one currently on Ebay that is NOS.
wallan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyke's Aircraft Engine Instructor book has some drawings and descriptions of inertia starters: can't be more precise as I don't have my copy handy. I, also, recall a cutaway drawing of a manual inertia starter, in some publication. For some reason the Nimrod/Osprey aircraft of the 30's rings a bell: can anyone confirm this?
lmoretti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 22:16    Post subject: Engine inertial starters Reply with quote

There is a book, "Aircraft and Power Plant Accessory Equipment" with a lot of good info.
Published 1941 by National Aeronautics Council, Inc., Author Sydney H. Webster, Eclipse Aviation.
My copy used to belong to the Eclipse Sales Department.
I got one and could run a few copies of the relevant pages for you.
If you send me an email with contact details I'll see what else I got that could help you.
Also, G. Burnell Manly, Aircraft Powerplant Manual, Drake, 1943, has some good info.
What size engine are you looking for?
Luigi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Wants All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: