enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WW2 Fighter Engines book available for pre-order
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdouglas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 15:11    Post subject: WW2 Fighter Engines book available for pre-order Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
My book on WW2 fighter engines is (after a 5 year project) now ready for pre-ordering.

I`m also told you can find it on Barnes and Noble and also Amazon USA.

https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/15057?fbclid=IwAR25ykEAQ0PPUd6UnA6FL5ofNyDBKoYb0N5W0Sm3oZuAqIp-9RWjP3oVnsg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Horsepower-Race-Western-Development/dp/1911658506/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1KLJDFBU9SHDR&dchild=1&keywords=the+secret+horsepower+race&qid=1585174776&sprefix=the+secret+horsepower%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-1&fbclid=IwAR0iFKoY41MDtxvEp_oz4gt0ENevDd8s-m9AzDQS5IokBNxSth1wy7VDV6w

***** UPDATE JANUARY 2021 ******

Please note that I have now added hi-res versions of 100 charts, tables and illustrations present in the book, but which were not able to be blown up enough to render all the detail (about 1/4 of them). These are on my website at the following address and are intended as a "companion" to the book. Please treat these images respectfully, and if you wish to use them online cite the source. There is a watermark on them, but I have tried to make it inobtrusive enough to avoid spoiling them.

https://www.calum-douglas.com/the-secret-horsepower-race-image-archive/

Last edited by cdouglas on Fri Jan 15, 2021 04:31; edited 2 times in total
kmccutcheon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Calum. I am looking forward to it.
wallan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Available today from Mortons.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also looking forward to it. How many pages?
cdouglas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 07:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwahlgren wrote:

480 pages, A4 page size. It is a bit of a tome.

We went to the the printers on Friday, expected postal distribution in 5 weeks. (i.e. you`ll probably recive it in the 1st week of November 2020)
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdouglas wrote:
rwahlgren wrote:

We went to the the printers on Friday, expected postal distribution in 5 weeks. (i.e. you`ll probably recive it in the 1st week of November 2020)

They keep moving the date on amazon, in the wrong direction.
Was November now, January.
wallan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy arrived today.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

So huge disappointment, I pre odered on amazon and was supposed to come today. Now delayed again. Where else can I get it faster?
Thanks

And crazy that it arrived in the UK 2 months before here.
dirwin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 06:19    Post subject: re: book review Reply with quote

cdouglas wrote:
rwahlgren wrote:

Calum - I have received and read sections of your new publication, and find it an excellent and deeply researched work on European engine development. Well done. I have also posted a review of it on the 'Historic Aero Engines' Facebook group (in reply to Hiroshi's posting in the group).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/598119237203242/permalink/1316581325357026

Regards, David.
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up on it. I figure it maybe here by this time next year.
Didn't they run out and are going to a 2nd printing?
I preordered many months ago. So disappointed in how they did this.
Why no special shipment and offer to us AEHS people?
mksmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 21:50    Post subject: Ship dates pushed out. Reply with quote

Mine keeps getting pushed to the right as well. Ordered on June 4th. Was February, now Dec 30. Probably going to be pushed again. Let's hope not.
mksmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:59    Post subject: Just received my copy Reply with quote

Per the subject line, just received the book, quick perusal and it looks like a very well written book. Looking forward to getting into it
rwahlgren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came today. 12-29-20 ordered in Sept I think.
Good book, and best Preface ever, says things I've been saying for years.
Also its a well made book as well. It does have some pics that are a bit small though.
cdouglas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 04:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwahlgren wrote:
It does have some pics that are a bit small though.

Please see the initial post at the top of the thread, which I have edited today (15th Jan 2021). I have taken the trouble to put most of the smaller charts and tables online for readers to view in hi-res.

Regarding the slow delivery, and special deals for AEHS members, the book is not self published so I have no control over distribution, and if the book was not sent, its because it wasn't printed yet. Sadly the whole virus situation has severely delayed every aspect of the book, and on top of that, postage costs are so high for books over 2kg that its simply impractical to send them by express (I did this myself for a former work colleage in Poland, it cost me more than the entire cover price of the book just to send it, suffice to say that was the last special favour I decided to do!).

For anyone considering purchasing it on the other side of the Atlantic, I highly recommend ordering from the publisher direct, due to the way distribution works. If you order from Amazon USA and they happen to have run out of stock, it can take months because to make shipment commercially viable, the books are sent to Amazon USA warehouses in one bulk "lump" of several hundred in a container by surface vessel (takes about 2months door-to-door). Which is then broken down into individual books and posted by Amazon USA to customers. However, if you order direct from the publisher in the UK, it will cost you full cover price (£35 GBP) but, it will be sent direct to you right away by airmail, which (if Amazon are out of stock) will cut about 2months from the delivery time. Of course, if you are in the USA, and Amazon USA have it in stock, it will be the fastest option.

Also, Amazon take 25% away from my royalites because they are almost always discounting it. So if you order from the publisher, it costs you more, but actually supports me to a far higher degree.

If you experienced frustration as a customer because the books were agonizingly slowly distributed, you can imagine how it felt for me. haha

Nevertheless, I`m pleased you are enjoying it thus far.
ssmart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is on the way from the UK to Canada, I'm looking forward to receiving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Book, Mags, Films, Recordings, Reference All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: