enginehistory.org Forum Index enginehistory.org
Aircraft Engine Historical Society Members' Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pratt & Whitney early Wasp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Help with Projects, Research, Finding Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onitsche

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 07:39    Post subject: Pratt & Whitney early Wasp Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm new here, but I've been using the website for a while now. So first off, thanks for all this valuable information.

I am doing research on the early P&W Wasp/R-1340 engine and have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to yet.

1. I am trying to locate manuals for the S1D1, so far no luck. Does anyone here have any leads?

2. Normally, Wasp engines have their placard placed on the front of the crankcase. The geared versions of the Wasp has a lot of bevels on the crankcase, so I was wondering where the placard was located on those engines. I am talking about the S1H1-G and similar. See here:
sithomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The 'Pratt & Whitney Story' book states that the original Wasp was taken to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia immediately after its type test; however that book is ancient and it may be somewhere else now.
2. Plate located here on geared engines:

This is on a Wirraway
onitsche

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 05:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and the picture! That clears it up.

About the missing manual: well, I did get my hands on one of these very pretty hardcover manuals for the Wasp C series. I was hoping there's still some resources like that out there for the S1D1, but I guess the fact that the engine wasn't widely used makes the manual more rare too.
onitsche

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got another question regarding the 1920s Wasp engines. I am currently looking for information on tachometers used in those engines. I'm looking for reference pictures or drawings in particular. Maybe there's even a manual floating around? Rolling Eyes
sstanley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

For engine and any other manuals try avialogs.com.
Tachometers are usually specified by the airframe manufacturer; drawings of the tach itself would be by the instrument manufacturer.
Where did you find the R-1340 C manual? I'm interested in these engines.
onitsche

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 05:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that resource, I wasn't aware of that website before. Unfortunately, I didn't get any closer to finding something on the tachometer.

I got the Wasp C manual from ebay for around $50 + shipping. If you can find it, get it! It's a properly bound, little book. Very pretty Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    enginehistory.org Forum Index -> Help with Projects, Research, Finding Information All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: